Click to share with friends on Facebook & Twitter
- Written by Arshad Mahmood
The status of British National (Overseas) was created by the Hong Kong Act 1985 and inserted into s.4(1) with effect from 1 July 1987 by Article 7(2) of the Hong Kong (British Nationality) Order 1986.
If you are a British National (Overseas), you may be eligible to register as a British Citizen under one of the eligibility criteria as set out below.
Registration On The Basis Of Five Years Residence
To be eligible to register under the five-year residence requirement you must:
- have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years; this is known as the residential qualifying period; and
- have been present in the United Kingdom five years before the date of your application; and
- have not spent more than 450 days outside the United Kingdom during the five-year period; and
- have not spent more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
- have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the five-year period; and
- be free from immigration time restrictions for the last 12 months of the five-year period of your stay in the United Kingdom.The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive you application. You must show you were present in the United Kingdom at the start of this period. For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2000.
You cannot count time you have spent in the United Kingdom while exempt from immigration control as part of the residential qualifying period. If you are in the United Kingdom as a diplomat or as a member of visiting armed forces or if you are in any place of detention, you would be considered exempt from immigration control. This time would be treated as absence from the United Kingdom.
Registration On The Basis Of Crown Or Similar Service
If you do not meet the five-year residence requirement, you may be eligible to register as a British citizen on the basis of your own crown or similar service.
You will need to show that:
- you have been or are in crown service under the government of a British overseas territory; or
- you have been or are in service as a member of a body established by law in a British overseas territory, the members of which are appointed by or on behalf of the crown.
Registration on the basis of crown or similar service is only granted in exceptional circumstances. You need to show that you:
- have been or are the holder of a responsible post; and
- have given outstanding service; and
- have a close connection with the United Kingdom.
Registration As British Citizen If You Are A British National (Overseas) With No Other Nationality
Followings are the requirements you need to meet to be eligible for registration as a British citizen by descent.
- be a British National (Overseas);
- not hold any other citizenship or nationality;
- not have given up any citizenship or nationality;
- not have lost any citizenship or nationality by action or inaction.
It is possible to be a citizen or national of a country even if you have never held a passport issued by the authorities of that country. You should make sure this does not apply to you before you make your application.
Why Sunrise Solicitors For Your Application For Registration As A British Citizen?
The immigration solicitors at Sunrise Solicitors are experts in dealing with applications for registration as British Citizens. The quality of our service is self-evident from the reviews of our clients about the service provided by our immigration lawyers. You can contact us if you are seeking legal help from immigration lawyers in London in relation to your application for registration as a British Citizen and our immigration solicitors will provide you fast, friendly, reliable and professional immigration service.
Our Fees For Application For Registration As A British Citizen By A BNO
- We will charge you a fee from £800.00 + VAT for our professional immigration services in relation to an application by a BNO for registration as a British Citizen. The agreed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.
- Please be advised that VAT will not be applicable where our client does not have a valid leave to remain in the UK at the time of his/her instructions to us in relation to his/her immigration matter.
- If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of instructing us in relation to your matter, you can pay half of the fee at the time of instructing us and rest of the fee can be paid by monthly installments.